The founding of Garachico dates from 1496, when the Adelantado Fernández de Lugo ceded a wide area of terrain to three Genovese bankers Cristóbal de Ponte, Viña and Interina, considered as the founders of the Villa. They prospered rapidly, specially from the sugar cane plantations and its export, together with the wine of Icod, and the excellent cove of its harbour.
The first temple was the church of San Pedro, that probably existed before 1500; built into a parochial church in 1514 by the bishop Arce. Less ancient, but no less important is the church of Santa Ana, on which construction began in 1530.
Also in the XVI century, Franciscan, Dominic and Augustine convents are founded, the latter together with schools.
In the past it had a notable economic development due to the work of the engineers and the activity of the harbour, in defence of which a castle was built. It was the commercial capital of Tenerife, until in 1706, the Garachico volcanic eruption, one of six historical eruptions on the island, destroyed a large part of the agricultural terrain and its port, of great commercial importance, ending the place’s prosperity.
In 1773, it had its first mayor, elected by the neighbours.
Places of Historical Interest
Ponte family House.
XVII and XVIII Centuries. Today it is the Hotel San Roque
Convent and fortress of San Miguel
House of the Marquees of the Quinta Roja, XVI century
Today it is a rural hotel, a good example of traditional domestic architecture in insular baroque style. Its origins date from the XVI century, although it was rebuilt in the XVII century.
Palace House of the Counts of la Gomera
Also known as the stone house, its construction was begun in 1666 by stone masons of Gran Canaria.
Convent of Las Concepciones Franciscanas
Its primitive construction is from the XVII century. An intense fire totally destroyed it in 1709. It was rebuilt 40 years later. Inside it features the ajímez and an outstanding high altarpiece dating from the XVIII century.
Temple of Our Lady of the Kings.
XVI Century, rebuilt in the XVII century
Temple of San Juan del Reparo.
Temple of San Roque .
XVI Century, rebuilt in 1736
Exconvent of San Francisco and Franciscan Church of Our Lady of Los Ángeles
The church is next to the chapel of the ancient convent. It has rich Moresque panelling, and Moresque octagonal roofing in the chapel,as well as images of the Christ of Health.
El Lamero Hacienda and Temple of San Antonio de Padua. 1636
La Quinta Roja Hacienda. 1620
Plaza de Armas
Matrix Church of Santa Ana
Its origins date back to 1520. Its tower and main facade are outstanding, a mixture of plateresque and renaissance elements.
Rebuilt after the volcanic eruption of 1706
Puerta de Tierra Park